-Toronto Harbour License


Q: Do I need a Toronto Harbour License to take my boat into Toronto Harbour?

A: There are many people who feel that a license is not needed for visiting boats and in fact many boaters do risk occasional visits to the Islands etc but ...

Toronto Harbour Regulations

You are required to possess a harbour license to operate in Toronto Harbour. Check out the Port Authorities web site for complete details.  TPA Website

( A ) The Toronto Port Authority ("PTA") is responsible for the administration of By-laws respecting navigation in the Port and Harbour of Toronto for both commercial and pleasure vessels, including rules regulating the speed limits of vessels, licensing of power-equipped craft and safety equipment required to operate a boat. The By-laws within the limits of the Port and Harbour of Torontoare enforced by the Toronto Police Marine Unit.

( B ) All recreational and commercial boat operators who have engine-powered vessels, whether the engine is the main power or only auxiliary, must possess an operators license from the Port Authority to navigate in the waters of the port and harbour of Toronto, which license can be renewed annually.

( C ) The limits of the Port and Harbour are defined as the section of the waterfront bounded by Humber River in the west, to Victoria Park Avenue in the east and stretching out into the lake along aline which runs south from the shore encompassing the islands and reaching a most southerly point of 1 mile from Gibraltar Point.